Friday, March 25, 2011

Lesson learned! ...over and over...

You'd think that if someone as young as me notices something obvious that is still continuously ignored, the adults would stop, think, and learn the lesson as well. But, usually, no.

In this case, the lesson is, "The more rules, the more rebels." This lesson also goes beyond just that. Lets start simple. At many schools, they do not allow any gum. At my school, it all depends on the teacher's choice. At my school, you are lucky to find chewed gum stuck under the tables. Why? Because chewing gum is allowed, and student's are less-likely to feel the need to hide their gum-chewing habits. In most classrooms at my school, you will find no sign of any chewed gun under any tables. However, in the few classes with teachers that don't allow gum, gum is found every once in a while under tables. So, to expand this lesson so far what I have is, "When people enforce unnecessary rules, students are more likely to rebel."

Other, more severe cases I have noticed that involve this ignored lesson, are family or parenting situations. For example, the article:  [2. Rules without explanation http://ezinearticles.com/?Top-5-Reasons-Kids-Rebel-From-Their-Parents&id=1323919from: Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1323919] explains the problems families face when rules go without explanation. One thing that I've frequently noticed that often bugs me is when parents voluntarily hide things from their kids or go on about how terrible things are to their kids in hope that their kids won't get the wrong idea from it. But as a result, their kids become compelled to know what it is or learn more about it to make an opinion about it that is probably, intentionally, NOT what their parents wanted it to be. The things that parents try to hide from their kids are usually things like sexual articles/ anything involving sex, alcohol/anything involving alcohol, --what they find as--vulgarity, and sometimes but not that I've much seen yet, drugs. 


Now, I know that I am only a minor, and that my opinion is 'less-important' than any adult figures' will ever be. But, I believe that if parents found ways to tell their kid what they believe is right or wrong without trying to cover-up or hide the 'truth' (or what every kid is going to see in their growing up life) then, their kid will be better off in the future from making more of the right choices. I plan on building a good parenting skill for the future based on this learned lesson. What I call 'going too far in trying to hide or cover up the truth', I mean things like not letting my 13 year-old kid read a magazine that has topics on flirting or sex.  If a parent educated their 13 year-old kid enough, then they should be able to trust their kid to know that much of the stuff in those magazines are not what you believe in, and that you shouldn't do things just because everybody else in your latter High School class does them. For example, I know that even if my friends loose their virginity, I will still have mine before marriage. I just don't feel that it's right to loose your virginity before marriage. Especially if it's just because your friends do. Peer pressure is hard, I know. But making your kids learn from your own mistakes RARELY works. 


I hope this is enough talk to explain how I believe an important lesson to learn is, "The more rules, the more rebels." Now that you know what it means, you can always use your own name for the rule, but at the moment, that's all I could think up.

Thanks for listening!
~CIB

No comments:

Post a Comment